Fertility doctors across the country came together to create this message:
We are united in the support of Black lives. Racism is a public health crisis affecting every field, including reproductive medicine. Your fertility doctors across the country are taking a stand.
Racial disparities extend across all aspects of society and health. The field of reproductive medicine is no different.
Compared to women of other ethnicities, Black women:
- are 2x more likely to have trouble conceiving
- are 50% less likely to seek care
- are more likely to suffer from tubal factor infertility and uterine fibroids
- have a reduced chance of live birth, even after IVF
- have the lowest percentage of first trimester prenatal care initiation
- have a higher risk of pregnancy complications including preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, and placental disorders
- are 3x more likely to suffer a pregnancy related mortality compared to White women
- Howell. Clinic Obset Gynecol. 2018.
- Wellons et al. Fert Steril. 2008.
- Seifer et al. Fert Steril. 2008.
- Maalouf et al. BJOG. 2017.
- Marsh et al. Fertil Steril. 2013.
I am proud to be among these incredible physicians:
@myfertilitycare @roohijeelanimd @dr.lauren.sundheimer @nataliecrawfordmd
@emeliacleo @lynnwestphal @suneeta.senapati.5 @drshrutimalik
@dranatebrauer @meresnook @drlorashahine @dremilybarnard
@ariellebayermd @drkcain @peterklatsky @ivfphoenix @temekazoremd
@sabrinagerkowiczmd @evelynmoklinmd @dr.jennyhirshfeld @anukathiresanmd
@dr.allison.rodgers @dr.arlenemorales @meredithprovostmd @drkarinechung
@drkateoleary @drnidheesachdev @fertilityspecialist_dr.barker @fancyladydoctor
@dr.shweta.nayak @deborah_ikhena_abelmd @rkudesia @drmarktrolice
@amyschuttMD @jsmfertilityllc @kngoldman @stephaniegustinmd
@ashleyeskewmd @drsheenarippentrop @drkenanomurtagmd @thefertilityphysician
@DrSerenaHChen @gagoivf @bheggfreezemd @jovanalekovich.md
Thank you to @drvinaygunnala who conceived and produced this video, with special thanks to @nataliecrawfordMD for uniting our voices.